Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes but, when it comes to copywriting, some are pretty unforgivable.
Every word you write leaves a lasting impression on your reader and just because you’re copywriting for the web (or any other digital format) it doesn’t mean you can slacken off. So when you’re writing emails, websites or even the lowly SMS, remember they deserve grammatically correct, error-free copywriting!
If you’re worried you might be making obvious errors, then here are my top ten easy copywriting mistakes and how to fix them.
- Your – possessive pronoun. (Your copywriter is hot.)
- You’re – the contraction of ‘you are’. (You’re a great copywriter.)
- Its – possessive pronoun. (The company is great but its website sucks.)
- It’s – the contraction of ‘it is’. (It’s easy to make a copy mistake.)
- There – in or at that place. (I had coffee over there.)
- Their – possessive pronoun. (Their copywriter is fantastic.)
- Loose – Adjective meaning free from attachment. (My tooth is a bit loose.)
- Lose – Verb meaning to come to be with out. (I always lose my wallet.)
- Bear – deliver. (I hope my SEO work bears fruit.)
- Bare – naked. (I slapped his bare bottom.)
Could have/Could of (applies to would and should)
- ‘I would have eaten the whole cake’, not ‘could of eaten the whole cake.’
- ‘I would have liked to go home’, not ‘would of liked to go home.’
- Lets – The active form of the verb ‘to let’. (Kate lets her clients take her to lunch.)
- Let’s – a contraction of ‘let us’. (Let’s go eat some cake.)
- Stationary – Not moving. (The car was stationary.)
- Stationery – Writing materials. (I love to buy stationery.)
- e.g. – The Latin abbreviation for exempli gratia (for example), to be used before giving specific examples.
- i.e. – The Latin abbreviation for id est (that is) and used when you want to make something clearer.
- We’re not part of America (yet) so make sure it’s (for example):
- Specialise not specialize.
- Adviser not advisor.
A few others that are irritating but somewhat harder to explain (so I haven’t) are:
Do you have a pet copywriting hate? Please share it below.
P.S. Picture from Writing Forward.
Want to have a chat?
If you need a Copywriter, SEO Consultant or Information Architect, then please contact me.